Since it’s such a cold day here in Belgium, I decided to make some heartwarming soup. I only had tomatoes in the house, so the decision was made rather quickly.
The secret ingredient to add colour and taste to tomato soup is… ketchup! It may sound weird to add ketchup to soup, but I tell you: it’s worth the risk!
Ingredients (for 1 medium pot)
- 1/2 Tbsp margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced (1cmx1cm)
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 bouillon cube (I used vegetable)
- 500ml water (I always preheat it in the water boiler)
- Preheat the margarine in a medium pot
- Sauté the onion and the garlic cloves for 5 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, diced potato and ketchup
- Crumble the bouillon cube over the pot and last but not least: pour in the boiling water.
- Let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes (you can check if it’s done by putting a knive in one of the potato cubes)
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender.